Natural Antioxidant Supplements
Beat the free radicals with our selection of natural antioxidant foods and supplements
Antioxidants are found in both supplements and foods, they help to protect your body from the effects of free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules that can come from the environment or the effect of oxidation within the body.
How do free radicals work?
Free radicals, contain unpaired electrons. The unpaired electrons make free radicals highly reactive. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals either by providing the extra electron needed to make the pair, or by breaking down the free radical molecules to render them harmless.
Types of Antioxidants
Many different things contain antioxidant properties including the vitamins A, C, and E; plant-derived polyphenols & Flavonoids found in fruits and vegetables also the element selenium, found in nuts and broccoli.
What are Flavonoids
Flavonoids are another type of antioxidant primarily found in plants. They are responsible for the color seen on flower petals and believe it or not there are over 4000 different varieties that have already been identified! They were discovered in 1938 when a Hungarian scientist named Albert Szent-Gyorgyi used the term "vitamin P" to describe them. The main sub-categories of flavornoids are:
- Anthocyanidins - Foods including:Blueberries, Grapes, Cranberries, Red Cabbage, Eggplant
- Flavanols - Found in Coca products such as dark chocolate
- Flavanones - Found in: Grapefruit, Lemons & Limes
- Flavones - Found in: Teas, Black & Kidney beans
- Isoflavones - Found in Soy products and thought to offer a multitude of health benefits